Monday, July 15, 2013

cucumber craziness

Well, my garden continues growing... and overflowing. Due to the amazing amount of rainfall we have had this summer, my garden is thriving. Here's a shot of one of the 8' long sides... What you are seeing is climbing/ pole beans, colored peppers in the foreground (still only green, they haven't turned yet), then cucumbers and tomatoes at the very end, standing tall.


Cucumbers
I thought it would be fun to take a few photos of the varying states of cucumber growth. This is my first time growing cucumbers and the whole process has amazed me.

From small plants, they quickly began growing and spreading! They are vines, so they needed somewhere to go. I had read somewhere to just use tomato cages. Since I had a couple extra (plus another given to me by my dad, thanks dad!), I used them. Well, they have worked great. Here's how they looked a few weeks in... LOTS of pretty yellow flowers.

Flowers fell off and these little baby cucumbers began growing.

And growing...

Longer...

 And fatter!


Until finally, I just couldn't wait any longer, and I picked one (that was ready)! My daughter and mother in law agree, they are a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.