Monday, August 5, 2013

calendar notebook

Preschool. Traditionally, that means sitting in circle, completing a calendar time and weather check, having a letter of the day/week, a color and shape of the week, story hour, and maybe even a "share and tell" time. All great stuff!

Homeschool preschool. While it can look identical to that or completely different, I decided to keep the idea of a calendar time, but modify it for my "kitchen table homeschooling" space. So, we have a calendar notebook! I merged two freebie calendar sets from both Motherhood on a Dime and Mama's Learning Corner. They have just about everything you'd want. I selected a few things from each to get us started.

Despite it being the 5th, we began today and introduced the concept of days of the week. Z traced the numbers/dates up to 5 and then found the number 5 in the "seek and find" page. 



I'm on the hunt for a fun "days of the week song." If anyone has one, leave a link in the comments below. I'd appreciate it! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura!

    Our favorite day of the week song is this one by Super Simple Songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RtvvSyHd_8&list=PL2113BA8518635C40

    My 2,3, and 5 yr old all like watching that video.

    I have to agree with you on modifying a calendar time to work at the kitchen table. Last year, we set up a calendar board on the wall. It was lovely, but just 'too much' for us in our home. We are MUCH happier with a simple, portable calendar notebook! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.