Thursday, September 12, 2013

"just because"

As I sit here typing this blog post, my children are working on a self-assigned report on volcanoes. 

It all started when L and Z pulled a book out of our book box and, heads-down in to it, were pointing and talking back and forth about the information it contained. L then said, "Let's get notebooks and we can draw and write what we are learning!" So, my 3.5yo is now drawing pictures of volcanoes from the book while his older sister completes a report on the various types of volcanoes, lava, etc.
I just have to shake my head and smile, as I remember the very same girl that is now jotting down notes and writing a report on volcanoes (that she has asked to present aloud to me when she's done!), just yesterday was whining over having to do writing work.

But I am also silently smiling because she has learned one of the real "assignments" (goals) of homeschool - to seek out and learn more about a topic, purely because there is an interest in the knowing. If I can cultivate a desire to learn, as well as equip them with the knowledge on where to seek out information, than the sky's the limit, whether it be vocationally or just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.