Friday, October 11, 2013

looking at the details



One of my favorite "toys" as an elementary kid was a microscope. I can't remember what age my parents purchased me a (starter-type) microscope, but I do remember there were countless numbers of things I adhered to a slide to look at under magnification... dead skin, a piece of hair, a dead mosquito, and whatever else I could get squished down small enough. Funny enough, the pull of microscope research wasn't enough to send me down that road professionally. I pursued a more relational field (human resources), but if I "had to do it all over again," I might be tempted to mix the two and go into genetic counseling. Random, and I digress, so back to microscopes!

This higher powered one is currently on loan from a friend, with the intent of purchasing should it make a good addition to our schooling. I think it's a keeper. We brought it home today. Despite my daughter's desire to rip into the boxes of slides and start investigation in trial-by-error fashion, I made her learn the parts and their functions first. We opened up the microscope and pointed out each, as I read and explained the function of each part (per the instruction manual). Ultimately, it was a good route to take. Z was able to hear that it was a "tool" and not a "toy" which means it must be handled carefully and responsibly, just like his grandfather's hammer and drill vs his play tools.

I think it will be really neat to have. Right now, our science curriculum doesn't require one, but most likely by the time we hit junior high (and for sure ninth grade biology), she will be able to incorporate that into her lesson work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.