Friday, November 22, 2013

kindness

You are a recent widow that is suddenly faced with an opportunity to stay in the land in which you were raised (and married) or follow your mother-in-law into a new land, with different customs and a different religion. What do you do?

If you are Ruth, you courageously say, "Where you go, I will go and where you stay, I will stay."

Z and I studied Ruth this week.
We talked about who a "mother-in-law" is, family in general, and what family members can do to show they love one another. Z quickly ran over to his sister, who was working independently on her spelling at the time, and immediately gave her a hug to "show her that he loved her." We talked about obeying mommy and daddy in love, and also different acts of service we could do for other people outside of our family.


I snagged some dried wheat stalks (random, but I actually have some on display on a bathroom shelf) as we talked about Ruth going and picking wheat for her and Naomi. They were able to eat with this key ingredient being supplied by a man named Boaz. Then we pulled the wheat apart and dropped pieces into a container full of water. Why water? I don't know! Everything's just better with water, lol. But, it did lead us to talk about whether they float or sink and why they float, etc. A little impromptu science/math lesson in there?


Studying Ruth, Naomi, and then later Boaz made me think of a quote that I read from Corrie Ten Boom:
Every experience God gives us,
every person He puts in our lives,
is the perfect preparation
for the future that only He can see.
God wrote Boaz into the ladies' story. In my life, I can look back to see how God writes different people in and out of my story, and see the part they play in different situations. He is truly a personal, caring God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.