Thursday, November 21, 2013

thankful chain

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing;
in everything give thanks;
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
There are so many great ideas out there regarding ways to intentionally count your blessings for Thanksgiving. Ann Voskamp offers a free printable for her "giving tree." Charlene Haugsven offers an idea on a simple preschool thumbprint tree idea. I deviated a bit from the tree idea, but went with a thankful chain of sorts.


I decided to incorporate it into my mantle. I switch around my mantle at least once a month. I rarely buy new things, just simply use things I have on hand in different ways and displays. I joke that it's the safest thing to redecorate and move around. If I had my way, I'd rearrange the rooms in my house at least a handful of times per year but my husband is not so quick to agree (thank you for being so patient with my spontaneous reorganizing-ness [-mess!], babe!). 


So, every couple of days or so, the whole family is writing down something/someone they are thankful for. My daughter and son will draw pictures of things, as an alternative to writing. We've even had a guest come over and add a tag to our chain.

I'd like to cultivate this spirit of thanksgiving in my home year-round. It's when we are focused not on self, but looking outside of ourselves, that we can be content with our lives. Ann Voskamp says, "...life change comes when we receive life with thanks and ask for nothing to change."


How do you incorporate thankfulness as a part of your family's daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.