Monday, January 13, 2014

5th grade art: what's it look like?


I was in conversation with a friend the other day about what we do for art in our school. 
"Oh, we cover a variety of mediums," I said, smiling to myself. Let's see... there's duct tape... cardboard boxes... playdough... yarn... beads... push pins (see above)... I happen to have a daughter that seeks out her own art experiences!

Our most current undertaking is knitting with needles. [For those that are wondering, we found a great YouTube series on the basics here.] Even prior to our loom knitting projects, L has desired to learn to knit. I have several sets of needles, passed down from my grandmother, who actually taught me to knit back when I was about L's age. My grandmother (dad's side) and my aunt were/are very talented with craft-needles. Whether sewing, knitting, or cross stitching they always had several projects going and always were eager to pull me into their "world." I soaked up the attention and teaching and remember always leaving their house with a partially-completed cross stitch or a quarter of a scarf knitted. I will not divulge as to whether those projects got finished at home or not... ;) Regardless, I will treasure those memories I have of my grandmother and the time spent with her and my aunt doing those things and shopping for the supplies.


Now for all you art majors out there cringing at me calling this "art" I know that one day it will behoove us to dig into some official art history and study the "greats." Don't worry, we will get there. In fact, two summers ago L took a week-long art summer camp that focused on a few artists and their techniques. That brought up a few neat ideas that inspired some creativity based on those techniques.

L also has an aunt that is artistically talented and draws professionally. She keeps L supplied with different mediums to experiment with and I hope to get the two of them together for a long weekend in-depth study of a particular medium (shameless nudge, sister in law?).

We do have a variety of art books for reference as well. I have found L flipping through some of the technique books often. We have also accessed several drawing/art courses via iTunes U, The Elements of Drawing being one of them.


All in all, I am comfortable with the low-key way we have pulled art into our schooling for my elementary student. What are some ways you incorporate art into your homeschool? Or just into your crafty-kids' lives in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.