Saturday, January 11, 2014

my new "toy"

Typically it's the children that get a new toy for Christmas. Well, in our case, this year I got one too :)  Well, more specifically I got a gift card earmarked for this "toy." After doing some research and chatting with friends that had one, I settled on a model and placed the order for a dehydrator.


Within a week, it came in and I was scrounging through my refrigerator looking for what fresh fruit I might have on hand: two lonely little apples. Apples, it was! I sliced up the apples and filled two of the five trays, placing them in the dehydrator. Six hours later, we had ourselves a nutritious snack! Haha, the only thing is, at 11:15pm, I was the only one testing them out, as I had just come home to a quiet (sleeping) house after being out that night with some girl friends.

The next day I went to the store and picked up some bananas and applesauce to try a few more things. I'll have to let you know how those turn out. The machine is humming along, dehydrating now.

My goal is to also make jerky, and then even eventually dehydrate meals (soup, lasagna, rice dishes?) for camping later this year.

What are some of your favorite things to dehydrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.