Wednesday, May 21, 2014

one of each: boyishness

When I was pregnant with my Z, I received the obligatory "What are you having?" and "Is this your first?" questions all the time. It's just something that must naturally come out when someone approaches a pregnant woman. After I replied that I had one daughter at home already and that this was a boy, I also heard almost as regularly something like, "Now you will have one of each. How perfect!" I would smile politely and think that I was just glad to be having a healthy pregnancy and I'll let you know how this boy thing goes down the road. ;)

Now that he's here and I've had four and a half years with a son and a daughter together, I get where they are coming from... I confess, it is fun to have one of each. They are wired so differently. In addition to just simple personality differences, God does design boys and girls unique from the very core of their being. It's been neat to be able to witness that first-hand in my own home. With it, I think does come some extra stretching and responsibility as a mom, though. I'm navigating through how to raise a son. I want to cultivate those inner man "things," like chivalry and being a protector and the desire to fight for something (and I don't mean fight against me to get his way all the time, that comes sinfully-naturally!). I am aware that there are God-given roles and by having one of each I feel like I am even more aware of that and want to mother my boy and girl fairly /equally but uniquely when the situation calls for it.



Something that is consistently different with my son, is the way he plays. Everything has a noise associated with it... cars, bombs, and guns being the big ones. Somehow every. single. thing. he plays with becomes either a vehicle or an element of war. I have found him zooming a square block around the floor as a car and using a drinking straw as a gun. We were playing with his gears set a few weeks ago and they quickly became cannons and land mines ("bombs") of which his little army men set out to cross...

watch out for the bombs (and cannons in the distance)

one of several "cannons"

Honestly, I am so intrigued to see these differences, even just in the way they play!

Are you a parent of a son and a daughter? How has that affected how you parent - do you feel the need to parent them differently? Or, did you have a sibling of the opposite gender? Do you think your parents cultivated the unique male/female-ness of each of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting with me here at the Chronicle. I look forward to getting to know you.